Thursday, February 9, 2012

Hiding

This post was prompted by an event that occurred the other night at work. The new district manager came in, and had some issue with something. Now, let me start by saying the guy's a bit of a prick to begin with; he was the location manager, and most of us thought that the best part of his promotion was that we wouldn't have to deal with him anymore. But he took particular exception to the book I had with me. That book is "The Ethical Slut: A Practical Guide to Polyamory, Open Relationships, and Other Adventures". He took exception because it has the word SLUT in large letters on the front cover, and said that it has to be hidden so that people, customers, couldn't see it. I suggested just leaving it on a counter, turned face-down, which he shot down because the word is still on the back, though in smaller letters.

It took me thinking for a while before I realized why I had had such an issue with this, and in fact I felt outright insulted. Maybe the word "slut" is a hot button word for some people, and it may even be offensive to them. But to me, and many others, it is not. I am happy to be a slut. And I really don't think that manager gives people enough credit, particularly considering that I've had that book with me, visible, for about 2-4 weeks now, slowly reading through it and digesting it.

What really offended me, though, was the implication that I have to hide it. The implication is that it should be something to be ashamed of. Even if some people may disagree with my lifestyle, I'm not hurting anybody, neither those who share my ways nor those who do not. I just don't do well at hiding things. I don't go out of my to slap people in the face with it, either. But I don't do well at hiding aspects of myself, because it is simply a subtle form of dishonesty. Anybody who asked, curious about what the book was, was given a short summary (and frankly, I'd recommend it even to people who are monogamous). But personally, I'd rather be honest and be disliked for it than to be dishonest about who I am, and it's a double slap in the face to be told that my lifestyle should be hidden away and that I should be dishonest with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment