Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Marriage

So, I couldn't help but hear some Waffle House customers talking the other night about how they basically couldn't believe gays were actually fighting for and wanting the right to marry. Because of something in the Bible, I don't know exactly where the conversation went after that, I did my best to tune out the morons.

First off, while I generally disagree with marriage for myself, I think anyone of legal age who wants to get married should be able to. And frankly, the law should stay out of it, because as far as legal marriage goes, it is simply a financial contract.

As for any argument that gay marriage is opposed in the Bible, let me state this quite clear: Marriage was not invented by the Bible, or by Christianity. Pretty much every culture on Earth has had something approximating it, where two people vow not to have sex with anyone outside of their arrangement and to share financial gains and hardships. When explorers set out from Europe and found various new cultures, these cultures already had something similar to marriage, and had never heard of Christianity or the Bible. Bible opposes gay marriage? Fine. Don't get married in that church. But that should have no bearing on whether the legal arrangement and contract should be able to be entered into under the law. Separation of church and state. I almost find it hard to believe that this is an issue at all. And then I remember: people are stupid. ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment